Optical Metrology Technical Leader
Peak Nano Optics, a breakthrough nanotech company boasting a 2022 Edison Silver Award in Engineering & Materials Science, seeks an Optical Metrology Technical Leader. The successful job applicant will play a key role in meeting our mission to take polymer technology from theory to the real world.
The person in this position will work on a multidisciplinary team consisting of polymer, mechanical, and optical engineering specialists to advance the fabrication and large-scale manufacturing of our proprietary nano-layered gradient index of refraction (LGRIN) optical technology.
Peak Nano Optics holds significant optical and scientific expertise within the company, so candidates must possess a strong understanding of and ability to manage high-quality optical metrology measurements of heterogenous lenses and lens systems. Ideally, the candidate will refine and develop metrology solutions, measurement protocols, and training for technicians in a way that results in reliable data and quality control. Both the ability to manage others and roll-up-the-sleeves-and-dive-into the metrology work when needed are imperative skills for this position.
Peak Nano Optics manufactures a unique class of optical components, which requires unique approaches to metrology. The candidate will interact with a group of professionals dedicated to personal responsibility, transparency, steadiness, and a team mentality.
This will be a non-negotiable, in-person position located at our facility in Macedonia, OH.
Located in the Akron suburbs and within a 25-mile drive from Cleveland, the second-most populous city in Ohio, the area is home to world-class research, manufacturing, dining, and entertainment opportunities. Cleveland hosts multiple Fortune 500 companies, three major healthcare institutions, including the globally regarded Cleveland Clinic, and a number of highly ranked educational institutions. NFL, MLB, and NBA teams are all based here, along with Playhouse Square, the second-largest performing arts center in the United States, and an extensive theatre, music, and museum collective.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Exhibit critical thinking and problem-solving skills that support effective decision making.
- Exhibit a fundamental understanding of how light rays (or wavefronts) pass through and are affected by optical elements and metrology equipment.
- Define, design, and develop optical metrology solutions including hardware engineering, test software implementation, and instrument qualification.
- Identify, plan, and manage multiple concurrent metrology projects while ensuring their success in meeting their respective objectives and deadlines.
- Manage personnel tasked with executing optical metrology tasks.
- Communicate clearly and effectively within the optical group, the manufacturing group, technicians, engineers, and managers.
Key Leadership Responsibilities:
- Interface with specification documents to identify metrology requirements and develop suitable approaches.
- Develop benchtop and production instrumentation to characterize complex optical modules and integrated systems.
- Develop and define optics testing procedures and analyses and convert to automated/reproducible processes for implementation in optics production.
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in Physics, Optics, or Electrical Engineering, 7+ years of industry experience in Optical Testing and Metrology.
- Experience with optical metrology equipment and techniques like interferometers, wavefront sensors, spectrometers, digital microscopy, lens analysis products, and radiometers.
- Strong capability in the design, setup and execution of sophisticated optical experiments.
- Highly motivated and capable of independent direction, problem solving, & troubleshooting.
- Strong technical writing ability.
- Proven multitasking skills and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both in writing and verbally.
- A high level of ethical behavior in exercising judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Physics, Optics, or Electrical Engineering and/or 10+ years of industry experience in Optical Testing and Metrology.
- Proficient with MATLAB (or Python) for data analysis and presentation
- Strong optical simulation experience and system modeling experience, familiar with ray tracing tools such as LightTools, Zemax, CodeV etc. and perform optical simulation and experimental lab validation to close the loops.
- Strong quantitative data analysis abilities, using JMP, Matlab, or equivalent tools and familiar with relevant algorithm for image analysis and data analysis.
- Prior experience with production metrology of testing of optical elements and assemblies on scales of 100s to 1000s of units per month.
To be considered for this opportunity, please send your resumé to [email protected].